Sunday, February 7, 2010

Books vs. Televison

Parents, would you rather have your child reading a book that talks about their bodies and sexual desire or have it shown to them on tv everyday? I bring about this question due to a blog I recently read on the banning of The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition. This blog brings up the point that basically you can never get rid of all the "bad influences" in your childs life, so would you rather them image it the way they would or have a grown up or "more experinced" person show them what it is on tv? As a child I personally knew what sex was but did not know details enough to want to do it as a young kid. I also knew what bad words were and what drugs were but reading about them in books did not make me want to go out and say or do those things. In my opinion books are a lot safer for kids to be exposed to then the stuff that gets put on tv these days. Another reason books can be better is that they are easier to control. With books the parent has to buy it or check that book out for a young child or a librarian has to check it out to them, as for tv you never really truely know what may pop up on that show you are watching or what commercials may come up in between episodes of Scooby-Doo. So what is your opinion, are books safer or is television safer to expose kids too? I would love the feed back from anyone, including any kids who have thoughts on the topic, so leave me questions or statements!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment